FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

Calvin Hamler aka ASSURITY FINANCIAL Legal Problems!! View next topic
View previous topic

itwontclose
Flash in the pan

Calvin Hamler aka ASSURITY FINANCIAL Legal Problems!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Most posters may have bumped into Calvin Hamler aka ASSURITY FINANCIAL, INC in the Forums area. He's a Frequent poster, and uses the FORUM to promote his Company, but neither he or ASSURITY seems to be as above board as MR Hamler may allude.

FACT.....There are several States that are actively trying to REVOKE his Company LICENSE, while others have fined him 10's of Thousands for Deceptive & Misleading mortgage practices.

Just how must Legal trouble are you in for Calvin??

" Mortgage Advertising Lawsuits - 3rd Quarter 2008 Mortgage ...
Assurity Financial Services LLC, and Calvin B. Hamler, Troy P. Hamler, Washington Department of Financial Institutions, na, $250000 fine plus $5000 in costs ...
www.mortgagedaily.com/Advertis.....120108.asp - Similar pages -
syntheticheroin
Nitroglycerin

Re: Calvin Hamler aka ASSURITY FINANCIAL Legal Problems!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yeah, and if you shoveled money out of helicopters you would get sued for polluting.

few years ago I had wondered: if they are THIS vile when things are good / vertical .., what will they do when things are bad ?

can the world ever be saved enough ?

gosh.

itwontclose wrote:
Most posters may have bumped into Calvin Hamler aka ASSURITY FINANCIAL, INC in the Forums area. He's a Frequent poster, and uses the FORUM to promote his Company, but neither he or ASSURITY seems to be as above board as MR Hamler may allude.

FACT.....There are several States that are actively trying to REVOKE his Company LICENSE, while others have fined him 10's of Thousands for Deceptive & Misleading mortgage practices.

Assurity Financial Services LLC, and Calvin B. Hamler, Troy P. Hamler, Washington Department of Financial Institutions, na, $250000 fine plus $5000 in costs ...
www.mortgagedaily.com/Advertis.....120108.asp - Similar pages -

Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A few quick points of clarification here, and then the world is more than welcome to judge for themselves. I have nothing to hide; hence my posting under my given name rather than some cloak-and-dagger assumed identity.

1.) Anyone who is interested in the actual facts and really wants to know both the story of the legal settlements Assurity entered into with various state regulators over direct mail advertising from its direct lending division (which currently comprises approximately 12 of our 240+ employees), as well as who I am, and what I stand for and believe in, can simply click on my name in the forums and read away. If you are of the same opinion after reading my posts, then you are certainly entitled to your opinion - it's a free country (sort of).

2.) It's Assurity Financial Services, LLC (not incorporated).

3.) In direct response to "How much legal trouble are you in?" I would offer that we have amicably settled every inquiry from every regulator, period, end of story. Again, you can read the details in a few of my posts, but I think the following comment sums it up best: "In the fragmented, patchwork quilt of state regulation, where you have 50 different sets of regulators with 50 different opinions on an open-ended topic like advertising, compliance with opinion becomes an impossibility." That being said, I can't stress enough that we had our advertising vetted with HUD on 4 different occasions and had the literal stamp of approval from other state regulators - no kidding. Finally, all advertising of the type complained about was stopped in March of 2008 in all states because frankly it didn't make economic sense to continue to fight the government over the topic that we should be able to educate consumers about refundable monies the government holds of theirs that they could put to good use before Uncle Sam uses it up.

4.) To know the whole story, it wasn't just Arizona that we tangled it up with and entered into a settlement agreement with. We also entered into agreements with the states of Washington and Idaho over these issues. We are currently in dialogue with a couple of others to settle the same issues (these things take time to handle properly). Monetarily, we paid the following settlement amounts to the following states to settle the issues rather than the incur the expense of litigation, which we would have done if the states had not been willing to settle: $15,000 to Arizona; $125,000 to Washington, $15,000 to Idaho, and there is one final, ongoing settlement discussion with a couple of other states that we are just now finalizing that I'm sure you will get to read about soon. But after that, I suspect the issue in its entirety will be behind us. I would have thought that someone trying to defame me / Assurity would at least bring them all up at once, so I'll do the legwork for you here. It's a real big secret.

5.) The comments that Assurity is a "broker hater" are laughable at best. I am one of the few that dare to speak up and defend the broker community on these forums and TPO lending as a whole. Assurity puts its money where its mouth is and we have a healthy wholesale lending channel.

6.) The implication that Assurity is under financial duress is an interesting one and I'm not quite sure how to couch my comments here. All I can tell you is that we are okay right now, but that in this environment, anything can change overnight, but that's true for any lender. I wrote a couple of detailed posts about our financial position and the decisions I have made as CEO and CFO to get us where we are today. I invite you all to read them if you really are interested. In short, we are trying our best, and doing well at present. But if, say, we lost our lines of credit overnight, or all of our investor relationships, or got fined millions and millions of dollars in a frivolous lawsuit or something, it would threaten our going concern. Again, I'm not sure how this is different from any company in the industry right now?

7.) I know there are a lot of bitter people out there, and I don't know what to say about that. On our end, for example, we used to have over 600 employees operating out of 7 offices; we were forced to downsize to just over 240 currently operating out of three locations. Guys, we didn't let you go for personal reasons, we had to downsize like everyone else, and I'm truly sorry we can't offer a job to everyone. We have our own finite capacity constraints just like everyone else. However, I truly believe that the vast majority of Assurity's remaining employees represent the industry's professional experts doing good business - and that includes our beleaguered direct lending group, by the way. They are some very good people that got caught in the middle of a political tsunami, but they still show up every day putting their hearts and souls into the job and I for one and damn proud to work with each and every one of them. I'll fall on my sword defending them right to the bitter end.

Looks like I will need to cut and paste this to a few different threads as the sabre-rattlers out there that would try to create a run on our mortgage banking operation have posted under various anonymous identities in varying locations. I apologize in advance for the redundancy but feel it necessary to tell "the rest of the story."

Kind regards,

Calvin B. Hamler, AMP
CEO & Managing Member
Assurity Financial Services, LLC
www.linkedin.com/in/calvinhamler
www.assurityfinancial.com
bp1003
Dud?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="itwontclose"]Most posters may have bumped into Calvin Hamler aka ASSURITY FINANCIAL, INC in the Forums area. He's a Frequent poster, and uses the FORUM to promote his Company, but neither he or ASSURITY seems to be as above board as MR Hamler may allude.

www.mortgagedaily.com/Advertis.....120108.asp - Similar pages -[/quote]

I think that it's shameful and immature of you to take these types of shots at people on a forum.

If you don't agree with this person's presence on the forum, don't read his posts.

I also challenge you to show us any company doing substantial volume that has not been the subject of litigation, whether warranted or not. It goes with the territory.
Mtgbiz89
Demolition Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Calvin Wink

BRAVO!!!

I am not familiar with you or your company but I applaud you for handling the posters inflammatory posts with grace and honesty.

C-4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

good on ya Calvin! I give you credit for standing up and being willing to defend yourself and your company against anonymous pot shots.

I have read other posts by itwon'tclose and have found him/her to be...well, let's just say anyone can compare your posts to his and judge for themselves. And I suggest they do so before making any judgments.
FIXMYLOAN
Consigliere

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ITWONTCLOSE - strike one.

"If they'll lie FOR you, they'll lie TO you"
bizzaro
Dud?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mtgbiz89 wrote:
Calvin Wink

I am not familiar with you or your company but I applaud you for handling the posters inflammatory posts with grace and honesty.

Grace and honesty are often confused with the defecated hay and corn consumed by livestock. A better, or at least more realistic, perspective may be found on the outside. Speak to the current Assurity retail originators who have rock solid , 790 Fico, low DTI loans in the pipe that have been in process for close to 60 days and are not yet ready to close. On his third 'processor', dealing with unwarrented delays, mandatory full review of the FHA apprisal, though the value far exceeds the sale price; conditions lost or 'not received' in transition from alledged processor to underwriter, though a copy of the complete email package was cc's to the originator.

New Rules: another form or disclosure to sign: can't find the one you sent. Can't have that meaningless form signed at closing: prior to docs only!!!! Email condition package dated 3-03, not yet received in undewriting.

Need a more current bank statement, this one is from 2-26. Doesn't matter that it's only got $64 in it, not needed to close and the borrower has $22,000 in reserves.

Forty years in this business and I've seen it all, or at least I thought so. But now comes Calvin Crew with excuses that, I must admit, are as creative, not to mention big balls bold, as I could ever imagine.

Hey, when you're broke, your broke. Turn out the lights on the way out. Wake up in the morning feeeling bad for your former associates but able to look at the man in the mirror.

Beezar
Calvin Hamler
Flash in the pan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bizarro / Beazar / whoever you are,

Here's the thing: there are always two sides to every story. I have to believe that there is more to it if we didn't approve a 790 FICO, low DTI loan, but unless you pick up the phone and call me, we will never know.

Give it a shot. My direct line is (720) 257-6594. You might just be surprised at how pragmatic I can be, and if we dropped the ball on customer service, I will personally put my foot in someone's backside to make it right.

I can't use broad-based allegations and anonymous defamation to resolve your problems, and I have to say I don't think it's helping you much here. But if you give me specific information to manage to then maybe, just maybe, I can help you, my valued employee.

Either way, thank you for your business and I hope we can do something to make your customer experience better. Surely in 40 years, this isn't the worst you've seen! You're a survivor, too!!!

Calvin B. Hamler, AMP
CEO & Managing Member
Assurity Financial Services, LLC
www.linkedin.com/in/calvinhamler
www.assurityfinancial.com
actionjackson
Flash in the pan

assurity
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

calvin

While I understand your passion to defend your company don't you thin it best to just let these accusations stay what they are? It is obvious that you want to defend your company but some of these people are just trying to draw you out. Don't take the bait! Take the high ground and ignore the c**p. Don't get in the gutter with a suit on.

If your company is what you say they are then you guys will make it and the best revenge is success. As long as you back it up i would not sweat it...

h**l, if you were an airline and got 99.7% of people their bags on time you would still sprinkle of several thousand people off per day. Roll with it and let them slug it out and move on to other hosts

"DEAR 8 LB. 6 OZ BABY JESUS, WE THANK YOU FOR THIS BOUNTIFUL HARVEST OF TACO BELL, KFC AND POWERADE"

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic