FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

TOO MUCH DOOM AND GLOOM ON THIS SITE View next topic
View previous topic

maudejo
Schumpeter Reincarnate

Re: TOO MUCH DOOM AND GLOOM ON THIS SITE
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Excellent posts lendergirl.

I think of course everyone should be positive at the micro level. Cuts years off your life if your not. Of course at the micro level its easier for us to function again with common sense as well. It's easier to correct our mistakes and move forward. Continue with the positive relationships we've developed over the years. Still sticking with advice based on relationships rather than paychecks. etc etc etc Yeah Yeah don't roll your eyes. I'm actually a pretty positive person in my own little world believe it or not.

But to be positive about the macro? No. Not till they sober up. I would have to be pretty drunk to pretend I was positive about the "macro" and Washington D.C. Really fall down drunk. But I guess I can say I'm doing what I can in my sphere of influence to do something about my extreme dissatisfaction.

For the past several years it didn't necessarily matter the debt load just that there was confidence that one could make the minimum payments on that debt. Now that there's doubt in the system I believe we have a few more rounds before its washed out. I am positively excited at the possibility of operating on a different system. That would be awesome. Especially for future generations.

In the end, though, I believe that the freedom/liberty people and message and the natural physics of the events at work, will assist the centralized power structures of the last two centuries to crumble to ash under their own despotic mass.
JW
buyerbeware
Schumpeter Reincarnate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

mahalo guy wrote:
Too much Doom and Gloom? Maybe not.

This guy manages 1 trillion dollar's. See what he said today.

http://articles.moneycentral.m.....risis.aspx

So, not enough doom and gloom?

Okay. I'll start.

We're screwed but how is that a surprise? Getting beyond the idea that we are screwed is the biggest hurdle. Once we do that, we can get to the unscrewing.

Innovate or die!!!!

Voltaire
CubeMonkey
Dud?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Doom & Gloom? I see a lot of positivity on this site. Maybe because there are a lot of sales type people posting here, and sales people by nature have to be positive sorts of people. Making a customer feel like the end of the world is neigh does not bode well for business. If you really want to be attacked, go post over at housingpanic. I actually see some of these forums as too positive... but then again, I work in operations for now. Wink
thebfgb
Schumpeter Reincarnate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

buyerbeware wrote:
thebfgb wrote:
MortgageMan85 wrote:
Big,

I have tried to be positive time after time. I usually get called arogant orstupid.

I feel your pain.

Bill? Is that you?

That depends on what your definition of the word is is.
MortgageMan85
Wrecking crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mahalo,

If you start listening to Harvard eggheads, you will soon be sitting in a room with the walls covered in foil like some of the others in here.

Remember, Doom and Gloom is good for getting people elected.

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.

Lombardi
title_gal
Demolition Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

CubeMonkey wrote:
Doom & Gloom? I see a lot of positivity on this site. Maybe because there are a lot of sales type people posting here, and sales people by nature have to be positive sorts of people. Making a customer feel like the end of the world is neigh does not bode well for business. If you really want to be attacked, go post over at housingpanic. I actually see some of these forums as too positive... but then again, I work in operations for now. Wink

I am not the only one then! yay

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - James Madison - 1788
Aaron
A-Bomb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally I have always tried to focus as much on constructive "moving forward" and reform as on what is going wrong.

Nevertheless I think a lot of people read that and feel defensive of the way things are, so they tend to focus on the negatives as an "attack" on their world view.

Anyway, there would be a lot more to be positive about if most of the "reform" going on actually acknowledged the roots of the problem!!
buyerbeware
Schumpeter Reincarnate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Aaron wrote:
Personally I have always tried to focus as much on constructive "moving forward" and reform as on what is going wrong.

Nevertheless I think a lot of people read that and feel defensive of the way things are, so they tend to focus on the negatives as an "attack" on their world view.

Anyway, there would be a lot more to be positive about if most of the "reform" going on actually acknowledged the roots of the problem!!

A visceral defense of one's positive worldview when exposed (wittingly, oddly) to "doom and gloom" is no different than a visceral defense of one's negative worldview when confronted with positive news, however marginal that good news might be.

My worldview is positively Cool grim but I try not to bring my hardwiring to the forum.

I have tried posting what could be considered positive news, mostly as a contrarian but also to add perspective. The reaction to and rejection of those posts has often been knee-jerk and on point, following a certain and predictable arc. I am not sure it's healthy.

Now, on to my grim worldview. You wanna get to the roots of the problem? Kill everybody. Problem solved.

Voltaire
angryvoodoo
Demolition Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

even if you killed everyone there would still be landslide victories in the polls.

creepy isnt it

have you another solution a tad less nihilistic?

Keith G
Flash in the pan

doom and gloom/kill everybody
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This story begins with a worm who is eaten by a bird. The bird is eaten by a cat whose self-satisfaction is disrupted by a mean-looking dog. After devouring the cat, the dog is killed by a grizzly bear ... About this time along comes a man who kills the bear and climbs a mountain to proclaim his superiority. He ran so hard up the mountain that he died at the top. Before long the worm crawled out of his body.

Keith G.

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic