FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups   |  Register  |  Profile  |  Log in to check your private messages  |  Log in 

Bear Stearns Layoffs 10,000+ CEO keeps his job! View next topic
View previous topic

1 More Thing
Wrecking crew

Bear Stearns Layoffs 10,000+ CEO keeps his job!
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They are beginning to let people know who is going to get RIF'd this week.
The letters went out this week.

THIS IS REALLY SAD! 70% of the 14,000 employees.

http://www.emii.com/Articles/1.....10000.aspx

Quote:
Job cuts at Bear Stearns could exceed 10,000, bankers told Financial News. JP Morgan has begun writing to staff at the failed investment bank to inform them whether they have a new role or will be made redundant.

Sources close to the situation to FN, more than 70% of Bear Stearns 14,000 employees will lose their jobs in the next months as the bank begins the process of merging it with its own investment banking business.

Quote:
Bear Stearns Chief Executive Alan Schwartz, forced to sell the hobbled investment bank to JPMorgan Chase in his eleventh week on the job, has been invited to stay on as a senior dealmaker, a person familiar with the situation said.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/2410908.....mp;par=RSS

Last edited by 1 More Thing on Sun May 11, 2008 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
thebfgb
Schumpeter Reincarnate

Re: Bear Stearns Layoffs 10,000+ CEO keeps his job!
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Bear Stearns staff made redundant will receive nine months full pay and a cash payment equal to one-third of their bonus last year
EnergyTrader
C-4

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thebfgb wrote:
Quote:
Bear Stearns staff made redundant will receive nine months full pay and a cash payment equal to one-third of their bonus last year

that will soften the blow a little, lol.
JTB6806
Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

EnergyTrader--Are you being facetious? I certainly think that's a GREAT deal. Noone wants to be displaced, but 9 mos (full pay) to go out and find other employement. Chase must know/believe they got one h**l of a deal, to offer all a package that size.
AnonBear
Dud?

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As a Bear employee in the US, I had to pipe up about this "9 months severance" ...Bear employees are NOT getting 9 months severance across the board. The amount that employees were given, IN WRITING, is the 8 week "notification period", and then 4 weeks for each year of service. So, it is possible that some people will get 9 months severance (and some much more, if they have been with the company for 20-25 years), but the average worker, who has been there just a few years, will have about 3 months severance.

If an employee is asked to remain through the transition, then he or she would also receive a bulk amount of "stay pay" - now, this is a GREAT deal.

I don't know the law in other countries -maybe 9 months is the norm in Britain, where the article seems to have to originated from.

Also, the information I am providing here is what was given to the administrative and back office staff. Maybe the traders got some "special deal" that the rest of us are in the dark about.
JTB6806
Dyn-o-mite!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I dont' work there so it's easy for me to say that I think it's a good deal, but even the update AnonBear sounds good to me. 1 yr. on Job and you get 2 mos. notice (start looking for something new) and another month's severance. Not great, but Chase seems to be taking better care of Bear and it's employees than Bear's management did. Anything beyond 1 yr. on job and it gets better and better. Again, I'm sure being laid off is less than an enjoyable experience, but they seem to be doing "right" by the employees. Best of luck to you all.
1 More Thing
Wrecking crew

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

9 months is good, however - most Bear employees OWNED stock in the company. It was the only brokerage firm where employees OWNED a significantly large portion of the company.

So in some cases - 9 months is not enough, when you actually owned "in stock" - 500,000 or even Millions. $$$$.
kden12
Nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

1 More Thing wrote:
9 months is good, however - most Bear employees OWNED stock in the company. It was the only brokerage firm where employees OWNED a significantly large portion of the company.

So in some cases - 9 months is not enough, when you actually owned "in stock" - 500,000 or even Millions. $$$$.

Good point, as well as the millions of other people that also owned stock in their companies. Some financial institutions match contributions with their own stock. I owned preferrred stock as well as stock within a 401k account that maxed out around 32.oo a ...it is now worth 5-6 bucks. Luckily I needed the money and cashed out. I put some down on a house and opened an IRA with what was left. I had to pay some penalties but I would have lost a ton more than I paid.

That is a huge loss for many. While I was talking to my Dad about all of it he said it reminded him of the late 70s and early 80s and a lot of companies left our city and they just simply took the pension with them. He had 20 years in.
mortgagemess
Nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Problem for many of those employees is good luck finding another job with 10,000 added now to the job search market...in an area that is highly expensive to life in and in a market that is tightening up...

Whatever package they receive or stocks they have it may not be enough to keep them afloat for very long..

Now imagine trying to sell your home to relocate...good luck...
AnonBear
Dud?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

JTB6806 wrote:
I dont' work there so it's easy for me to say that I think it's a good deal, but even the update AnonBear sounds good to me. 1 yr. on Job and you get 2 mos. notice (start looking for something new) and another month's severance. Not great, but Chase seems to be taking better care of Bear and it's employees than Bear's management did. Anything beyond 1 yr. on job and it gets better and better. Again, I'm sure being laid off is less than an enjoyable experience, but they seem to be doing "right" by the employees. Best of luck to you all.

I have to agree in many respects! But, just to clarify, the 2 months notification period is mandated by the WARN Act, based upon the large number of employees effected, so Chase has no choice as far as that goes. It SEEMS like we are going to be treated well, but I must admit I am very jaded...I have been in this business for a long time and have seen A LOT. Don't know if I'll be laid off, but I have seen this "crisis" coming for a long time and have thus been living well below my means for a few years now. I didn't lose too much as far as the stock is concerned, but I know people who lost 20 years worth of nest egg.

Jump to:   

Merge topics 

View next topic
View previous topic